Job Title: Team Leader
Reporting to: Production Manager
Purpose of the Job:
The role has overall responsibility for the daily operation of the production area and its output to ensure production yield is aligned to the production plan. The role will be the initial point of contact to address issues affecting the day-to-day operation of the production area (e.g. operational performance, quality and process discipline). This is a key leadership role within the production department where you will have the opportunity to be a driver for excellence.
Key Task Areas:
- Managing the production processes and facilities to achieve customer requirements (i.e. delivery to internal and external customer commitments).
- Plan and communicate rota management to staff, ensuring adequate coverage in relation to production forecast.
- Delivery of improvement actions to commitments to ensure business growth
- Overall responsibility for the safety of employees working within the given production area
- Ensure all processes, plant and equipment are operated in a safe manner and employees are aware they are responsible for safety of themselves and others
- To effectively lead communication processes across the line, aligning to the overall site communications plan.
- To immediately escalate issues (with a solution where possible) which could prevent legal or regulatory compliance, or which may impact service levels.
- Engage the team in driving a high-performance culture and environment focused on achieving key performance metrics
- Review operator performance weekly and provide regular performance feedback to individual operators if performance falls below minimum performance criteria
- Ensuring daily production briefs are carried out to ensure communication of all relevant information throughout their departments, timely escalation of issues and feedback of resolution to the teams
- Support deployment of personal development plans for staff within the production area. The team leader is accountable for ensuring the process happens, whilst the operator is responsible for owning their individual plan
- Manage cross training and skills matrices for team to provide flexibility during periods of unplanned operator absence
- Enact and lead company policies when required, including disciplinary process for relevant instances.
Continuous Improvement (CI)
- Lead Daily Stand Up Meeting (DSUM) ensuring timely escalation of issues and feedback to their team on resolution actions
- Support and implement CI activities utilising lean & problem-solving techniques to drive improvement performance
- Encourage the team to identify process wastes (8 wastes) opportunities and raise them at the relevant meeting
- Maintain up-to-date data and action status at the end of each shift on visual management boards
- Own the escalation of issues to the relevant support function process or resource owner and agree commitment to resolution with ownership and timing
- Running the Daily Stand Up Meeting (DSUM) ensuring timely escalation of issues and feedback to teams on resolution actions. Accountable for DSUM outputs
- Working collaboratively with other production areas to constantly improve common business processes
- Ensuring regular reviews and updates of SOP’s and standards relating to their areas are carried out
- Ensuring the correct on-boarding of new starters is carried out through supporting regular probationary reviews and 1:1’s with department staff
Characteristics and Requirements
- Experience at leading and managing teams is required
- Positive and enthusiastic with effective interpersonal skills and the ability to influence others
- Continuous Improvement education to some level is desirable
- Understanding of performance reporting and why KPIs are key to managing the business and driving continuous improvement
- Someone who can manage the department tactically to achieve daily goals but can balance focus on strategic improvement change also.
- Adept problem solver with a continuous improvement mind-set.
- Drive for results: Pushes self and others for results and focused on end results measures
- Directing others: Good at setting direction and goals and aligning agendas to them. Delegates well and brings out the best in people
- Command skills: Enjoys leading and comfortable in taking difficult stands when required. Looked to in providing direction in crisis.
- Developing direct reports: Ability to identify and build peoples strengths through coaching, challenges and stretch tasks. Is aware of people’s development ambition and can use this to develop them and benefit the business
- Process Management: Knows how to organise people and tasks, and view tasks separately in workflow. Can simplify complexity in processes
- Communication skills: Clear, articulate communication skills both oral and written. Numerically literate
The hourly rate would be £9.92 and then after a successful probationary period this would rise to £10.71.
Team size would be 7 down the first production line.
Hours of work would be:-
Mon – Thur: 7:15am-4pm (overtime when required up to 6-7pm)
Friday: 7:15am-12:15pm (overtime when required up to 4pm
Sat & Sun overtime if required subject to business need.
Closing Date: Friday 25th October 4pm.
For an application form please contact Chris Watts or send your CV and covering letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org